World environment day is a global event dedicated to stimulate the awareness of the growing environmental issues across the world such as urbanization, species extinction, air and water pollution to name a few.
This event aims at gaining political attention towards these environmental problems. It also stimulates common people to become active agents for change in support of sustainable and equitable development.
Every year, World Environment Day is celebrated on June 5 with a different theme and different country as a host. This year’s host country is Brazil with a theme: Green Economy: Does it include you?
What is Green Economy? UNEP (United Nations Environment Programme) defines a Green Economy as the ‘one that results in improved human well-being and social equity, while significantly reducing environmental risks and ecological scarcities.’ In simple words, Green Economy means a sustainable economy and society with resource efficiency, reduced carbon emissions, and no loss of biodiversity and ecosystem services.
You too can build a green economy by doing a couple of simple yet important things in your community like:
- Recycle waste material. You can make boxes or containers out of used carbon papers
- Plant saplings or keep flower pots around your house or elsewhere in your locality to keep the environment green
- Keep a bowl of water and bread crumbs to save birds from starvation
- Save electricity and water
- Drain dirty water out of your coolers or other storage places to curb water-born diseases in your locality
Remember, one small step taken will become a huge leap forward to a better and happier future tomorrow. Work today for a greener tomorrow.
Let’s celebrate World Environment Day 2012: